Colva FC in GSL Championship Finals, for the first time…. Tristan hat tricks

By: Cyprian (Cippy) D’Cruz

Colva FC in GSL Championship Finals, for the first time…. Tristan hat tricks


True to its form this year, in the Goan Soccer League, Colva FC entered the finals for the first time, scoring a well-deserved victory over former champions Margao Simba by a 5-2 margin, at the Paramount Foods Field on Sun Aug 21st. 2022 at 12:30 PM. The game had ended at 2-2 after 90 minutes. The game had to be decided in the extra time of 20 minutes.


It was an exciting Sunday with fine weather. The earlier semi-finals was anybody’s game until the final whistle. Aguada FC prevailing over Loutolim FC by a score of 4-2 in the tie breaker.

The fans were looking forward to the second semi-finals to witness an exciting game. Exciting game it certainly was.  Colva FC scored the first goal against the run of play, through Aaron D’ Souza in the 7th minute.


It was a mixed dominance thereafter by both teams. Margao Simba having the experience on their side made sporadic raids but failing to finish at each time, was their undoing. Colva FC on the other hand, had youth and speed on their side. One such speedy move for them, resulted in the second goal. Tristan Van Drine, a talented player for Colva FC skillfully ran through the entire defence but was brought down in the box by one of the defenders. The referee pointed to the spot without any hesitation. Tristan converted the penalty to take his team to a 2-0 lead.

Margao Simba increased the pressure and was awarded a corner kick. From the resultant corner kick, the hard-working Connan Fernandes, scored directly, beating Ryan D’Souza in the goal to reduce the margin 1-2.  The half time ended 2-1 for Colva FC.

In the second half Colva FC did not make any serious moves and were content with the 2-1 lead. Margao Simba on the other hand, applied pressure and were rewarded with an equaliser through a hard-working Connan Fernandes once again. The ball being played in the Colva FC in the 18-yard box was not cleared for a long time and there was a short scuffle between the players. As the ball was finally cleared and, on its way, out to the touch line, the keeper being out of position, Connan Fernandes ran around the defense, chased the ball, and back heeled it, in an open net for a well-deserved goal. The game ended soon after at 2-2 and after 90 minutes, resulting in an extra time.

In the extra time, Tristan Van Drine scored two goals, to add to his first goal in the first half, to make it 4-2 for a well-deserved hat trick. Aaron D” Souza rounded of the tally by scoring his second goal of the match to make to 5-2.